Meyer was a German optical company, founded by Hugo Meyer (born 21.05.1863, died 01.03.1905) in Görlitz.
In 1918 Dr. Paul Rudolph, the inventor of Zeiss’ Tessar and Protar, developed Meyer’s Double Plasmat which was derived from Meyer’s symmetrical Euryplan lens. In the 1920s he developed fast variants, the Kino-Plasmat f/2 and the World’s fastest lens of its time, the Kino-Plasmat f/1.5 .
After WWII Meyer was the second East German lens supplier after Carl Zeiss Jena. It became a part of VEB Pentacon and after some point, all the Meyer lenses were renamed Pentacon.
In mid 1960s Meyer introduced lenses with interchangeable adapters for different camera types. The first such a lens was Orestegor 4/200, which could be mounted on Exakta Varex, Exa II, Pentacon, Praktina and Praktica 35 mm cameras with applicable adapters. Orestegor 5.6/500 could be mounted on Exakta Varex, Exa II, Pentacon, Praktina, Praktica as well as Praktisix medium format SLR.